On Saturday, Betty and I and Eileen Hilleary were blessed to attend the Diocese of Arlington's Women's Conference. We were able to listen to two amazing speakers: Dr. Peter Kreeft and Mary Ann Hayes. Here are the notes that Mary Ann Hayes provided which highlight ten common patterns of negative thinking, which is important, because, as she pointed out, our underlying thoughts generate our emotions.
Cognitive Distortions
Cognitive Distortions are discrete, habitual patterns of
thinking (“automatic thoughts”) that are misperceptions of reality. Such misperceptions, often rooted in negative
experiences from early childhood, cause one to experience a debilitation
emotion, such as anxiety or depression, which one feels powerless to change.
By identifying the negative emotion and examining the
underlying thought process, we are able to correct our faulty thinking and see
reality more accurately. This empowers
us to take control of emotional life and gain great freedom in action.
The Ten Cognitive
Distortions
1.
All or Nothing Thinking: Life is black or white---No grays.
“I
need to perfect, or I am unacceptable.”
2.
Overgeneralization: Drawing negative conclusions about the future
from one event/circumstance.
“My
last relationship didn’t work out. I
guess I’ll never get married.”
3.
Disqualifying the Positive: Refusing to see the good that is present.
“She
doesn’t really like me. She is just nice
to everyone.”
4.
Jumping to Conclusions: Reaching conclusions
without sufficient data.
“I
texted him an hour ago and I haven’t heard a reply. I guess he doesn’t want to see me anymore.”
5.
Magnification & Minimization: Catastrophizing and denial.
“This
is a crisis!” and “I didn’t realize we had a problem.”
6.
Selective Negative Focus: Always looking for the negative in a
situation.
“The
glass is maybe 90% full, but it’s 10% empty!”
7.
Emotional Reasoning: Emotions are evidence of truth.
“I
feel inadequate. I must be useless.”
8.
Labeling & Mislabeling: An extreme form of over-generalization. Putting self and others in boxes with -/+
Labels.
“I’m
a failure.”
9.
Overuse of “Shoulds”: Insisting that you or life
be a particular way, rather than how you/life is.
“Life
should be fair!”
10. Personalization: You consider yourself responsible for
negative events, though they have nothing to do with you.
“She
didn’t stop by my desk this morning to say hello. I probably offended her somehow.”
Adapted
from: David Burns, Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy,
Signet
1981.

No comments:
Post a Comment