I'd like to try this soon! Nonie and Nano, you might like this too!
Had you ever heard about soaking the oatmeal to neutralize the phytic acid?
Baked Steel Cut Oats.
And bonus for mommies with little ones: Baby Cereal Bars
1: Soak oatmeal overnight in water with tablespoon of plain yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir. This is not absolutely necessary, it's just a really good idea. Grains contains phytic acid, which prevent you from being able to absorb all of the grain's nutrition. Phytic acid also make grains harder to digest. I even read that soaking grains can help a person with a mild gluten allergy be able to eat some different types of grains.Yogurt, buttermilk and kefir all have natural enzymes that neutralize the phytic acid.
2. Drain oats in mesh collander. There is no need to rinse, just get rid of extra water. Put back in bowl.
3. Chop some nuts.
4. Add egg mixture to oats along with fruit. I have some blueberries and raspberries in this one from my frozen fruits stash. Add cinnamon and canola oil. You could add nuts here too (unless you are making baby cereal bars too), but I just sprinkle mine on top. (They get toasty this way... yummy)
5. (Optional.) I have a little guy (10 months today!) who will eat just about anything (yep. broccoli, peas, carrots...) so long as he gets to be the one who puts it in his mouth. This has made me have to be creative in how I feed him. Since this has little sugar in it and is minimally processed, I decided to make him his own batch of cereal bars. I just pulled out a little bit, put it in the food processor (to make it easier to eat... he doesn't have many teeth to handle the chewy oats), didn't include the nuts, and put in a little mini bake dish. (Do double check with your baby's pediatrician if you have concerns about whether your baby can have this... My baby can, but all babies are different, the allergen advice keeps changing, and I am no doctor)
6. Place mixture in oiled pans. Sprinkle nuts on top. Bake in a 375 preheated oven for 20-40 minutes. It's done when a toothpick comes out clean.
Baked Steel Cut Oats Recipe
Ingredients:
3 cups Steel Cut Oats
1 TBS plain yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir
½ cup chopped nuts
3 eggs
1 cup of milk
½ cup dried fruit or 1 cup of fresh or frozen fruit
1 TBS cinnamon
2 TBS canola oil
2 TBS maple syrup
Steps:
- Soak oats overnight. Place oats in large bowl, fill with water till water is an inch over the oats, place a generous tablespoon of plain yogurt in bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease pans.
- Drain oats in colander and place back in bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and maple syrup until frothy.
- Add egg mixture to oats along with fruit, nuts, cinnamon, and oil. Fold until combined.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake for 20-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean or oatmeal has no liquid on top.
- Serve with maple syrup.
Baby Oatmeal Bars:
Prepare just like above, except omit nuts, and place in food processor before putting into baking dish.

No comments:
Post a Comment