Even the sparrow finds a nest in which she puts her young, near to your altars, Lord Mighty God!

Monday, December 14, 2015

Do we have a spectral seasonal lesson to learn here, as did Scrooge?

On Saturday, Ken, Mimi, Jeanne and I met up with Teresa and Pat at Hartland Christmas cut your own tree farm.

We were armed with a saw, high spirits and Christmas joy.  We were all wearing sweaters and scarves and long pants, and, as we trekked up and down the rolling hills of an endless supply of trees that were too small, too thin, too prickly, too etc, the sun began to focus on our intrepid little group with a merciless and and searing eye.

Soon the desperation that accompanies these hopeless quests under difficult circumstances (like last minute Christmas Eve shopping trips to Potomac Mills) decidedly descended on our little group.


Clearly too prickly, for instance!





Too narrow of course! By now I was also holding Teresa's scarf, soon to be holding Sebastian's sweater, etc.




The temperature by now was at least 95 degrees and it was past lunch time and we were all dehydrated.



Finally we settled on a tree that was tall "enough" and wide "enough" and  not prickly. It wasn't the greatest tree but it was the same desperation that makes buying the worst possible item seem like a good idea on Christmas Eve.



Peter managed to carry it to the van after ken cut it down.




We were so glad to have a chance to leave, I mean, to have our tree!






We drove it home.








Got it in the house...










Began setting it up....












AND BEFORE TOO LONG IT BACAME CLEAR THAT THIS IS A TREE THAT DRAWS A LOT OF ATTENTION TO ITSELF.











Maybe a little imposing, right?







Imposing, but somehow cheerful, 








Sort of like this guy......













But in the daylight, another side of this tree has come to light...





The inside....












Literally!







Could this tree somehow contain a holiday lesson for our family?  Is it the ghost of Christmas Tree past? Of a few years ago when it was fuller on the inside?  Or the ghost of Christmas tree future? That spectral being who points its long bony branch at the commercialism of perfection? Or maybe it's just the ghost of Christmas present that says meh.





Who knows?


But in the meantime....












2 comments:

Mormor said...

Such a funny post! I really enjoyed this, very funny! Thank you for posting! That is a tree with character!

Teresa said...

Hahaha!! I had to stifle my laughter hard core when I first read this as I had *JUST* put the munchkins down for a nap. Can't wait to see how it looks with lights and ornaments!