Diehard Heathenry
Drizzle-witch,
why do you drive
your load of mist
across my land?
For remedy
I will sacrifice to you
my cow, my wife,
and my Christianity.
[Hví svo þrúðgu þú
þokuhlassi
súldanorn
um sveitir ekur?
Þér man eg offra
til árbóta
kú og konu
og kristindómi.]
Jónas Hallgrímsson, “Dalabóndinn í óþurrknum,” from Ljóðmæli eptir Jónas Hallgrímsson (1847), online athttp://www.jonashallgrimsson.is/page/ljod_dalabondinn.
why do you drive
your load of mist
across my land?
For remedy
I will sacrifice to you
my cow, my wife,
and my Christianity.
[Hví svo þrúðgu þú
þokuhlassi
súldanorn
um sveitir ekur?
Þér man eg offra
til árbóta
kú og konu
og kristindómi.]
Jónas Hallgrímsson, “Dalabóndinn í óþurrknum,” from Ljóðmæli eptir Jónas Hallgrímsson (1847), online athttp://www.jonashallgrimsson.is/page/ljod_dalabondinn.
The above poem was copied from the blog The Joy of Curmudgeonry. The author of the poem, Jonas Hallgrimsson, lived in Iceland during the first half of the 1800's.
Jeanne, Peter and I were discussing this poem this morning and i asked them, "Who do you suppose the Drizzle-witch is in our modern culture?" Jeanne wondered if it would be pornography. Peter suggested communism. political correctness? too much entertainment?
What are your thoughts?
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment